37 photos of the universe that will make you rethink your entire existence.
The universe is huge.
In the universe, the Earth is a grain of sand.
Not even: a microscopic atom.
As my grandmother used to say, a picture is worth 1000 words.
This is evident with these incredible photos of our Universe.
I challenge you to discover images that open your eyes and make you see things from a different angle.
You will see that in the scale of the Universe, we are really a small thing…
Here it is 37 photos of the Universe that will make you reevaluate your entire existence. see:
2. This is our “neighborhood”: the Solar System
3. This is the distance between the Earth and the Moon to measure. It doesn’t seem that far, does it?
4. Well, think again! Arranged end to end, all the planets of our solar system can fit into it
5. Now let’s talk about the planets. See that little green spot on Jupiter? That’s the size of North America!
6. Here you can see the size of Saturn compared to Earth. It is 6 times larger than the Earth!
7. This is what Saturn’s rings would look like if they were around the Earth
8. While we’re at it, see how much Earth can fit in the diameter of Jupiter
9. And this is a comet like the one we just landed the probe on. Here is its size in Los Angeles scale
10. But wait, that’s nothing compared to the size of the Sun. See the size next to the place:
11. Do you see the small black dot near the sun? This is a planet, Mercury
12. This is how we look from the moon
13. The same, but this time from March
14. This is the Earth from Saturn
15. Hello! This is Neptune… 6 billion km away
In the words of Carl Sagan:
Look at this little dot. It is our home. We are.
At this point is everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you’ve heard of, everyone who has ever lived.
16. But let us approach the Earth again. Here is its size compared to the Sun. Breathtaking, isn’t it?
17. This is still the Sun, but from the surface of Mars
18. Are you sitting? There are 10 times more stars in the visible universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches and deserts on earth. It makes you dizzy!
19. There are stars much bigger than our little Sun. See how it compares to one of the biggest known stars:
20. Here is another perspective. The hypergiant star VY Canis Majoris is 1,000,000,000 times larger than our Sun.
21. AND all this is NOTHING on a galactic scale. If we shrunk the sun to the size of a white blood cell, the Milky Way would be the size of the United States.
22. Because the Milky Way is simply HUGE. This is where our solar system is in the Galaxy
23. However, only this small part is visible to the ordinary eye
24. By the way, the diameter of the Milky Way is about 100,000 light years.
To give you an idea of its size:
1 light year alone = 9.461 BILLION km
25. Compared to other galaxies, ours is literally tiny. Here’s the Milky Way compared to IC 1011, 350 million light years from Earth
Take some time to connect everything that can be found in this dimension galaxy!
26. Let’s see it bigger. In this photo taken by the Hubble telescope, we see thousands and thousands of galaxies. All of them have millions of stars, each with its own planets
27. And here’s just one of those galaxies, UDF 423. It’s 10 billion light years away. In fact, in this photo you are looking back billions of years.
Astronomers believe that some galaxies formed only a few hundred million years after the Big Bang.
28. And to drive the point home, the Hubble photo represents only a very small part of the Universe. A small part of what we see in the night sky
29. And just for fun, there are also black holes on the lot. Here is the size of one of them compared to Earth’s orbit
30. So the next time you’re upset about missing an episode of your favorite show, take a step back. And remember one thing: this is our home
31. If we approach the scale of our solar system, this is the Earth
32. And if we take it further…
33. Always forward…
35. A little more…
36. We’re almost there!
37. Here we are: here is everything that exists in the observable universe and where you are right now. A microscopic ant in the ocean…
Well, did these photos get you thinking? Let us know what you think in the comments. We look forward to reading from you!
Share this tip
Do you like this trick? Click here to save it to Pinterest or share it with your friends on Facebook.
Also to discover:
17 touching photos that will bring tears to your eyes.
20 photos that prove that being a wildlife photographer is the best job in the world.