Poisonous plants for your pets!

There are a variety of indoor and outdoor plants that can cause serious poisoning for your pet.

What are the symptoms of plant poisoning?

Depending on the plant and the amount ingested, symptoms can vary. In most cases, your pet suffers from temporary vomiting. But in more rare cases, your pet may experience serious complications.

In general, signs of poisoning:

  • Digestive disorders : vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation;
  • Heart problem : heart problem ;
  • Behavioral problems : lack of appetite, isolation, apathy;
  • Respiratory disorders : shortness of breath, asphyxia;
  • nervous disorders : tremors, convulsions, paralysis, coma;
  • other disorders : kidney failure, mouth irritation, conjunctivitis, gingivitis, even death in severe cases.

Which plants are dangerous for pets?

When purchasing your plants, ask for advice from vendors who can tell you the degree of toxicity for your pets. For those of us who already have plants or whose animals go outside often, here is a list of the main plants that are dangerous to our small animals.


Common in gardens and parks, the resinless conifer yew is one of the deadliest species for your pets. Its branches mainly attract herbivores (horses, donkeys, rabbits, etc.) and birds.


Lilies in gardens usually bloom in summer. Dangerous for animals, cats are more affected than dogs.

In this family, asparagus or dragon tree is also responsible for poisoning in animals.

Dragon Riders

Dragon tree leaves are highly toxic to animals due to the saponin they contain.

Be careful, because this molecule, also found in aloe, is especially attractive to cats!


Native to tropical and subtropical areas of Africa and Asia, cycads are particularly dangerous for dogs due to the presence of cycasine, which is highly toxic to the liver.

Opt for dwarf palms that look a lot like them!


This small shrub with red and pink flowers is very harmful to all animal species due to its active ingredient andromedotoxin.


Like most daffodils, daffodils contain a dangerous substance called lycorine. Always watch your pet during walks, do not let them walk alone near daffodils. Indeed, they may be attracted by the color and sweet smell of these flowers.


This small shrub, which blooms from late summer to September, is poisonous to all animals, including birds. Warning: all parts of oleander (leaf, flower, sap, wood, etc.) contain oleandrin, a giant toxin used to make rat poison.


When in contact with its juice or leaves, the animal’s mouth is strongly irritated. Indeed, the toxicity of this plant is mainly due to the latex it contains.

star jasmine

Nicknamed False Jasmine, this climbing plant is also very dangerous for small animals. Watch out for your dogs who love to dig flowers!

lily of the valley

Lily of the valley, usually offered in May, should be placed out of your pet’s reach. A single thread is enough to cause trouble in a small animal!

What to do in case of poisoning?

If you have any doubts about ingesting a poisonous plant, consult a veterinarian immediately, even if symptoms do not appear immediately. Take a photo or bring a sample of the plant in question.

You can also contact Veterinary Poison Control Centers or visit the Capae Animal Poison Control Center website.

Warning: Do not try to induce vomiting, give your pet anything to drink or eat without consulting a veterinarian.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *